Top tips on how to plan your office move
An office move is a major step in any business large or small. It could be costly and will have a big impact on you and your staff. So how can you move office in the most cost effective way possible, whilst minimising the disruption to your workflow?
If you’re considering moving office it’s generally for good reason; after all, your need for additional space almost certainly means you’re growing. However, first things first, it’s worth playing devils advocate before you dive in the deep end – do you really need to move?
- Have you really overgrown your existing office space or could you ‘buy’ some more time if you made better use of it?
- How far ahead are you looking? Can you afford the size of space you need in an ideal world or should you nail some more contracts before you commit so you can go for somewhere that will last you longer?
- Could you change the way you work in the short term, to relieve pressure on space while you wait for a few more contracts to come on stream e.g. hot-desking, working from home or re-formatting your work space; might this help to make the work environment more manageable in the interim or would the changes necessary be detrimental to the business?
- Is your location and limited space having a negative impact on productivity?
If, having tested your resolve against these questions, you conclude you need to move, you now need to consider how you are going to go about it.
Following a few simple steps can help turn a potential headache into a smooth transition.
- Be clear about your requirements, both strategic and operational. Consider where you want to move, how much space and when you need to be in by. What key features do you need, what are your business objectives and what type of lease do you want?
- Set up an office move team; as small or big as your company may be, it will help if you delegate some responsibility.
- Start early! Leaving things too late is a common error because many companies underestimate the amount of planning an office move requires. Start reviewing your options 9 – 18 months prior to the intended move.
- Agree a realistic budget and watch out for doing it ‘on the cheap’. Part of this budget should include engaging office move professionals if your company is large, to avoid any costly mistakes.
- Communicate! Good communication from the outset will help keep everyone informed, motivated and supportive so the relocation will have a positive and beneficial outcome for everyone involved. Don’t forget your clients, suppliers and utilities too.
Good luck to those of you who are taking the plunge and moving office. If you’re thinking about it and need to research your options, search NovaLoca’s extensive commercial property database.